Where to Go in Congo
It is very rare that a new destination opens up in Africa, so the debut of Congo's untamed rainforests is the most exciting development this decade. We predict that the Republic of Congo will become a very busy destination - but for a few precious seasons, the intrepid travellers who go there will experience a truly wild, unspoilt safari.
- The Congo’s capital city and flight hub for Central West Africa is clean, organised and friendly. Congo's rainforests are reached only via charter flight from Brazzaville, and the airy, modern airport receives inbound flights from main hubs including Nairobi (Kenya) and Johannesburg (South Africa), making it easy to combine Congo with a traditional big game safari or a beach vacation.
- Known as the 'Little Paris of Africa' Brazzaville has a strong French culture. It is a delightful city and fun-filled day tours will take you to colourful markets showcasing exquisite local fabric, foods and other goods, as well as to see to historical landmarks and fascinating architecture.
Odzala-Kokoua National Park
- Ngaga Camp shares its emerald address with a gorilla research team. Set deep in the rainforest, Ngaga provides a perfect base from which to explore the jungle and meet the fascinating individuals involved in habituating and studying its main attraction, the critically endangered western lowland gorillas. Discover the secret world of the forest on guided nature walks and gorilla treks in the knowledge that your tourist dollar contributes directly to conserving both the great apes and their habitat.
- Lango Camp overlooks a shallow, mineral-rich lagoon (known locally as a ‘bai’), a favourite watering spot for shy forest buffalo and 500-strong flocks of parrots. You can explore this primeval setting on guided nature walks, motorboat trips and kayaking adventures. Whichever environment you explore and whatever activities you choose, you will be in the excellent care of knowledgeable, passionate guides and expert trackers from the local community.
- Mboko Camp is located in a grassy clearing on the edge of a riverene forest. This small and intimate lodge offers excellent access to the wildlife and wonder of Odzala-Kokoua National Park. From camp you can explore a multitude of habitats from dense forest on the hillside and gallery forests near the river to swampy grasslands where animals come to obtain their salts and minerals from the soil.
A Congo safari is infused with a priceless and rare sense of authentic adventure – from start to finish you encounter sights, sounds and scents that are unique or unusual, from the cathedrals and monuments of Brazzaville, to the heart of the rainforest and the game-rich lagoons of the bai.
We’ve personally experienced the destinations, lodges and activities that we recommend in the Congo. You can view the video playlist of our Congo trip on Youtube or check out our Congo photo album.
Why Travel with Us?
- Independent expert advice
- Full service, flights included
- Real value at a fair price
- On safari support 24/7
- Financial protection
- Top tips & travel guides