Where to Go in Congo
It is very rare that a new destination opens up in Africa, so the debut of Congo's untamed rainforests is the most exciting development this decade. We predict that the Republic of Congo will become a very busy destination - but for a few precious seasons, the intrepid travellers who go there will experience a truly wild, unspoilt safari.
- The Congo’s capital city and flight hub for Central West Africa is clean, organised, and sports skyscrapers and an airy, modern airport. Inbound flights are via Africa’s main hubs of Nairobi (Kenya) and Johannesburg (South Africa), making it easy to combine Congo with a traditional big game safari or a beach vacation. In contrast to the quiet efficiency of Brazzaville, Congo's rainforests are unsophisticated and rugged, reached only via charter flight and navigated along dirt roads.
Odzala-Kokoua National Park
- Ngaga Camp shares its emerald address with a gorilla research team. Set deep in the rainforest, Ngaga provides a perfect base from which to explore the jungle and meet the fascinating individuals involved in habituating and studying its main attraction, the critically endangered western lowland gorillas. Discover the secret world of the forest on guided nature walks and gorilla treks in the knowledge that your tourist dollar contributes directly to conserving both the great apes and their habitat.
- Lango Camp overlooks a shallow, mineral-rich lagoon (known locally as a ‘bai’), a favourite watering spot for shy forest buffalo and 500-strong flocks of parrots. You can explore this primeval setting on guided nature walks, motorboat trips and kayaking adventures. Whichever environment you explore and whatever activities you choose, you will be in the excellent care of knowledgeable, passionate guides and expert trackers from the local community.
A Congo safari is infused with a priceless and rare sense of authentic adventure – from start to finish you encounter sights, sounds and scents that are unique or unusual, from the cathedrals and monuments of Brazzaville, to the dark heart of the rainforest and the sun drenched lagoons of the bai.
Our Africa Safari Experts personally experience the destinations, lodges and activities they recommend - see our own Congo Expedition in our videos and photo album.
Why Travel with Us?
- Independent expert advice
- Full service, flights included
- Real value at a fair price
- On safari support 24/7
- Financial protection
- Top tips & travel guides