The Virunga volcanoes in Rwanda’s Volcanoes National Park were first made internationally famous by pioneering primatologist Dian Fossey and her work with families of mountain gorillas, including her favourite whom she called ‘Digit’.
Today, guests are able to experience the same awe as Fossey did in a 4-day flying safari that kicks off in Kigali and see you spending three nights at the Virunga Lodge, which has sensational vistas of not only the surrounding volcanoes but also of Lakes Ruhonda and Bulera.
Trekking gorillas through dense forest is thrilling: experienced guides and trackers will find clues to the families’ overnight movements in the verdant vegetation. Once you encounter a family, you will be able to spend an hour observing them before returning to the lodge for a hot shower, delicious meal and a personal meditation on how it feels to come face to face with our closest living relatives. Volcanoes Safaris is, to date, the only safari company to have signed the United Nations’ Kinshasa Declaration on Safeguarding the Great Apes.
Other activities at Virunga Lodge include visiting Fossey and Digit’s graves, seeking out rare golden monkeys, discovering the untouched inland beaches of Lake Kivu, and learning more about Rwandan life at nearby schools, villages and orphanages.
Day to Day Itinerary
Welcome to Rwanda
In Search of Gorillas
Explore Village Life
With New Perspective
- An expert driver/guide and vehicle
- 3 Nights at Volcanoes Virunga Lodge on fully inclusive basis
- One complimentary massage
- One golden monkey and One gorilla permit
- Park fees, nature and community walk fees
- Activities as specified in the itinerary
- International flights
- Airport taxes
- All meals and drinks not specified
- Tips and gratuities
- Items of a personal nature
- dates rates from
- 01 Mar 2017 - 31 May 2017 $5125 £3945 R67920 €4580
- 01 Jun 2017 - 30 Sep 2017 $6100 £4695 R80845 €5450
- 01 Oct 2017 - 14 Dec 2017 $5125 £3945 R67920 €4580
- 15 Dec 2017 - 28 Feb 2018 $6100 £4695 R80845 €5450
Our rates are per person sharing unless we note differently.
Please treat all pricing as a guide only:
- All rates are subject to availability and may change without notice
- Single supplements may apply
Request a quote or speak to one of our African Safari Experts for the best, most current rates available.