- Sabi Sands Game Reserve
- Thornybush Private Game Reserve
- Timbavati Private Nature Reserve
- Kapama Game Reserve
- Klaserie Private Nature Reserve
The ‘Kruger area’ and a ‘Kruger safari’ usually comprise the massive national park itself plus the park’s surrounding private game reserves. Easily accessible via road or air, these exclusive, conservation-driven reserves are home to some of Africa's finest safari accommodation. Whether you’re planning a safari for the family, a romantic honeymoon or a wildlife adventure, you can expect a luxury safari experience with superb service and cuisine, plus facilities like gyms, health spas and private pools.
Best Reasons to Visit Kruger’s Private Game Reserves
- Stay at luxurious lodges with spas, gyms, private pools and star-beds.
- Enjoy 5-star service and exquisite cuisine – some of the best safari food in Africa by award-winning chefs.
- See high concentrations of animals without tourist crowds. There are strict vehicle limits at wildlife sightings.
- Experience closer and more frequent animal sightings than in the national park.
- Virtual guarantee to see all the Big 5 (elephant, buffalo, rhino, lion and leopard).
- Experience extremely high standards of safari guiding.
- Enjoy safari activities like off-road driving for extra close-up encounters, exciting spot-lit night drives and guided nature walks – these are not permitted in the national park.
Kruger National Park vs Private Game Reserves
|National Park (Public)||Private Game Reserves|
|Self-drivers in Rental Cars||✔||X|
|Guided Game Drives||✔
(with national rangers)
|Private Game Drives||X||✔|
|Vehicle Limits at Sightings||X||✔|
|Guided Nature Walks||X||✔|
|Night Game Drives||X||✔|
|Big 5 Sightings||✔||✔|
|Off-road Game Driving||X||✔|
|National Park Access||✔||✔|
|Access to Private Game Reserves||X||✔|