Africa is home to the three best countries in the world for a gorilla safari. Uganda, Rwanda and Congo have made a name for themselves in the safari industry as the leading destinations for travellers seeking gorilla treks through untamed, pristine rainforests in search of these elusive primates. The experience of encountering mountain gorillas in their natural habitat is said to be a life-changing and eye-opening moment that has become an unforgettable memory for all who have had the privilege to enjoy this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.
With unmatched up-close encounters, gorilla treks are a must-see for animal-lovers and avid safari-goers. Here are our favourite gorilla safari tours in Africa:
1. Chimps, Wildlife & Gorillas in Uganda
Duration: 7 Days | Countries: 1 | Destinations: 2
A week on a Uganda safari is just about enough time to experience the magic of the country’s rainforest, gorges and lush savannah. This 7-day itinerary sees you flying into Kasese from the capital city of Entebbe before spending four days in Queen Elizabeth National Park. Here, you’ll track chimpanzees and spot some of your favourite African wildlife on game drives. You’ll then be transferred to Bwindi Impenetrable National Park – a tropical forest wonderland filled with dramatic landscapes and majestic wildlife. Naturally, it’s in Bwindi’s pristine forest that you’ll get the life-changing opportunity to encounter the four known habituated gorilla families that live in the mountains.
- Chimpanzee trekking in Queen Elizabeth National Park
- Spectacular views of the Rwenzori Mountains
- Boating on the Kazinga Channel
- Dedicated private guide throughout your trip
- Visit the local community centres & Batwa villages
- Spot the pride of tree-climbing lions in Ishasha
2. Visit All the Safari Hotspots in Tanzania & Uganda
Duration: 14 Days | Countries: 3 | Destinations: 6
This spectacular 14-day trip sees you enjoying some of the best safari activities East Africa has to offer. Your adventure starts with a bang in Uganda’s equatorial rainforests, where you find yourself trekking through lush greenery and steep mountains to encounter the gorilla families who inhabit the region. The fun continues on Rubondo Island, where you days are filled with exciting animal sightings of chimps, elephant and giraffe. On the fifth day of the trip, you swap the forest landscape for the rolling savannah of the Serengeti and Ngorongoro Crater. Both these destinations offer unforgettable moments like witnessing the Great Wildebeest Migration and exploring the world’s largest intact volcanic caldera.
- Visit some of East Africa’s most popular wildlife destinations
- Fantastic photography opportunities for keen photographers
- Spot the Big 5 in the Serengeti
- Small, intimate safari lodges throughout – ideal for couples & honeymooners
- Explore the exclusive Rubondo Island & trek for habituated chimpanzees
- See the Ngorongoro Crater – the world’s largest intact volcanic caldera
- Witness the annual Wildebeest Migration in season (July to October)
3. Adventure Through Uganda's Lush Forests
Duration: 9 Days | Countries: 1 | Destinations: 5
Experience the best of Uganda with exciting wildlife encounters on this 9-day safari adventure. Your trip kicks off in the jungle of Kibale Forest, where you’ll aid chimpanzee researchers in observing these intelligent, acrobatic primates in their natural habitat. From here, you’ll head off to the popular Queen Elizabeth National park for some classic safari game viewing on land and water. The highlight of your trip takes place in the famous Bwindi Impenetrable National Park. Here, you’ll have the chance-of-a-lifetime experience of tracking the mountain gorillas of Uganda with a professional guide. Your adventure ends with one final night in Lake Mburo National Park – perfect for a relaxed yet exciting night drive through the plains in search of nocturnal animals.
- Explore the energetic city of Entebbe
- Track chimpanzees in Kibale Forest
- Classic safari experience in Queen Elizabeth National Park
- Spot the tree-climbing lions in the Ishasha Plains
- Cruise down the Kazinga Channel
- Stand with one foot in each hemisphere at the Uganda Equator Line
4. Congo Safari Tours in a Magnificent Rainforest
Duration: 8 Days | Countries: 1 | Destinations: 1
Spending eight days in one destination might seem excessive for this Congo luxury safari tour. But once you step foot in the Odzala-Kokoua National Park, you’ll see that one week might not be enough time to spend in this magical region. The park is a swathe of primary forest famed for its biodiversity and rich wildlife – ranging from western lowland gorillas to elephant and forest buffalo. Once deemed inaccessible, the jungle is now home to a few eco-sensitive lodges that are carefully built into the landscape and each provide a different experience of the rainforest, wetlands and savannah. During your time here, you’ll enjoy gorilla trekking, river cruises, kayaking adventures, guided walks and other exciting activities.
- Stay in luxury, eco-friendly chalets throughout your journey
- Encounter unique forest wildlife & landscapes
- Enjoy two gorilla treks, water-based activities & nature walks
- See a sizeable portion of the world’s remaining gorilla population
- Spectacular views of the surrounding forest & ‘bai’ – an area of open, marshy ground frequented by elephants, buffalo & antelope
5. Classic Safaris & Gorilla Trekking in East Africa
Duration: 15 Days | Countries: 3 | Destinations: 7
You’ll be hard-pressed to find a more exciting safari adventure than this 15-day itinerary, which combines East Africa’s biggest wildlife experiences into one trip. The tour opens with gorilla trekking in Uganda’s pristine rainforests before you’re flown to two of Africa’s most popular safari destinations, the Masai Mara and Serengeti. While here, you’ll enjoy front row seats to the Great Wildebeest Migration – nature’s grandest show. The final stop on the journey is Tanzania’s Ngorongoro Crater, where you’ll be able to experience a classic game drive through the conservation area, spotting the Big 5 and other exciting wildlife along the way.
- Visit some of Africa’s best safari hotspots
- See the Big 5 & other big game in Ngorongoro Crater
- Enjoy cultural encounters with the Batwa people
- Go on night game drives & nature walks
- See the Great Wildebeest Migration in season (May to October)
- Stay in luxurious tented accommodation throughout
- Optional hot-air balloon rides over the Masai Mara
6. A Short but Sweet Rwanda Gorilla Safari
Duration: 4 Days | Countries: 1 | Destinations: 1
The four days you spend in Rwanda on this amazing adventure are jam-packed with exciting activities and unforgettable experiences. Your home away from home is the charming Volcanoes Virunga Lodge. The lodge provides a comfortable yet luxurious stay and boasts the most incredible views of the surrounding extinct volcanoes, lush forestry and tranquil Lakes Bulera and Ruhonda that make up Volcanoes National Park. The highlight of your trip will, naturally, be the time you spend in search of and observing the mountain gorilla family in their natural habitat. When not on your gorilla trek, enjoy tracking Rwanda’s other endangered primates, the golden monkeys, or take a scenic stroll to pioneering primatologist Dian Fossey’s grave, as well as the gorilla cemetery she founded as a resting place for poached gorillas.
- Visit Dian Fossey’s resting place & the gorilla cemetery
- Discover the untouched beauty of Lake Kivu’s beaches
- Enjoy guided walks in search of rare golden monkeys
- Sensational views of the surrounding forest & volcanoes
- Immerse yourself in local Rwandan life
7. The Ultimate Trek Safari Through Uganda & Rwanda
Duration: 10 Days | Countries: 2 | Destinations: 4
Uganda and Rwanda are two of Africa’s newest and most exciting safari destinations, and this 10-day trip takes you through the countries’ premier gorilla trekking destinations, Bwindi and Volcanoes National Parks. Besides enjoying ethical encounters with majestic primates, you’ll also have the opportunity to immerse yourself in the pristine, untamed nature of these vibrant nations. The journey begins in Entebbe, Uganda, before heading to Lake Mutanda and on to Bwindi Impenetrable Forest and Volcanoes National Park for your gorilla safari. Visits to the Nkuringo and Batwa people, as well as the Rwanda’s Genocide Memorial Centre and Miles Collines Hotel will provide plenty of cultural enrichment while on your African adventure.
- Cross Lake Mutanda in a dugout canoe
- Experience the culture of the Batwa & Nkuringo people
- Comfortable accommodation in a pristine rainforest setting
- Enjoy scenic walks on trails that run along the Ivy and Kashasha Rivers
- Explore the thriving city of Kigali
8. A Luxurious Adventure in Uganda's Rainforest
Duration: 5 Days | Countries: 1 | Destinations: 2
Spend five glorious days in the tranquil rainforest of Uganda, tracking some of the 340 mountain gorillas that inhabit the pristine Bwindi Impenetrable Forest. You’ll stay in the upscale Sanctuary Gorilla Forest Camp, a stylishly appointed tented accommodation that ensures you experience your surroundings from the lap of luxury. Add to that the fact that habituated gorilla families will often pass through the camp and this is guaranteed to be one of the most unforgettable African gorilla tours.
- Enjoy luxurious, authentic accommodation in a private concession
- Guided forest walks & exceptional birding
- Habituated gorilla families can be seen strolling through camp
- The perfect add-on to a classic safari in the Serengeti or the Masai Mara
Ready to plan your gorilla safari holiday in Africa?
Don’t miss out on the chance-of-a-lifetime opportunity to go gorilla trekking in one of Africa’s premier safari destinations. Get in touch with one of our African Safari Experts to tailor-make your next holiday.