The Masai Mara is a safari classic for a reason: it’s temperate climate, fertile soil and wide-open plains support a huge number of animals and make for easy game spotting. And it’s perfect to combine with all sorts of other exciting destinations in Africa like the Seychelles, Victoria Falls or even Cape Town. Read on to see our Top 10 best Masai Mara tours:
1. Rhino Tracking and Big 5 Safari
Duration: 8 Days
Fly between three different camps to experience two very landscapes in Kenya. The Mara promises classic savannah with large herds of elephant and, of course, wildebeest while Samburu is hillier and more arid, a supportive environment for more unusual species. Both have sizable populations of predators like lions, leopards and spotted hyenas.
- Track black rhino with rangers via radio
- See the Samburu Special 5 (beisa oryx, gerenuk, Grevy’s zebra, Somali ostrich and reticulated giraffe)
- Seasonal Great Wildebeest Migration viewing in the Masai Mara
Adventurers, birders, families and couples
2. The Mara and Lake Naivasha
Duration: 6 Days
It’s not only North America and the United Kingdom that have systems of great lakes, Kenya does too, thanks to the Great Rift Valley. Two of the most famous are Nakuru and Naivasha, both of which you will explore on this unusual safari.
- Stay in a classic wooden safari house with views of Naivasha and Mount Longonot
- Optional activities like golf, hot-air ballooning and trips to Nakuru
- One of the best sites in the Mara for game viewing
Birders, families, adventurers and photographers
3. Romantic Kenya's Mara & Coast
Duration: 11 Days
It might sound odd but a safari can be exciting AND exhausting – very early mornings, long hours in the sun, late nights around the campfire. What better way to return home completely refreshed than with a few days on the beach after your safari?
- Great Wildebeest Migration viewing in season
- Spectacular laid-back beach resort at Alfajiri Beach Villa near Diani, one of Kenya’s most beautiful beaches
- Ideal for a bush & beach honeymoon
Couples, romantics and honeymooners
4. Mara Horse-riding Safari
Duration: 8 Days
Some safaris allow you to ditch the game-drive vehicle in favour of walking; this one let’s you saddle up a horse to gallop with the herds in a completely enthralling experience! Depending on the time of year, you could mingle with the wildebeest migrating back down to the Serengeti or trot among the resident game like zebra, Thomson’s gazelle, elephants and impala.
- Wonderful safari experience for competent horse riders
- Gallop among herds of wildebeest, zebra, giraffe and gazelle
- Ford the Mara River at a renowned wildebeest crossing point
Experienced adult riders (age restriction applies)
5. The Mara, Victoria Falls and Cape Town
Duration: 14 Days
Hit three biggies in one fell swoop. If you’re taking a long-haul flight to Africa, then it can make sense to see as many of the major destinations as possible. Cape Town will appeal to nature lovers, foodies and wine drinkers while Victoria Falls is a must-do for everyone, especially adrenalin seekers. Finish with a classic safari in the Masai Mara.
- Culture, art, food, wine and nature in Cape Town
- The world’s largest waterfall at Victoria Falls on the border of Zambia and Zimbabwe
- Stunning lodges in Zambia and the Masai Mara
Couples, families, honeymooners and first timers
"Dependable service for a trip of a lifetime"
When you safari, especially as a group, and you want the security of having a local agency coordinate the logistics and your stays it's good to have Go2Safari look after things. They were flexible to meet our specific requests, whether a camp/lodge or flights. Everything went so smooth. They were very good at handling our group of 6 couple traveling from the states, with a multitude of questions.
- Scott (California, USA)
6. The Seychelles and Masai Mara
Duration: 11 Days
Step up your bush-and-beach itinerary by jetting off to one of the world’s most remote archipelagos after time in both Nairobi National Park and the Mara. The Seychelles are virtually a year-round island destination: it’s almost always sunny, a perfect end after a peak season or Green Season safari.
- Time on the Seychelles’ biggest island
- An exciting start in Nairobi National Park, one of the world’s most unique conservation areas
- Very comfortable tented camp accommodation with superb service
Couples, honeymooners and first timers
7. Big 5 Walking Safari
Duration: 9 Days
For the first part of your safari, it’s the camels that’ll be doing most of the walking! Hitching a ride on a camel gives you an entirely different perspective of Laikipia’s landscape and brings you closer to the pristine nature that surrounds you. Then it’s off to the Mara to intimate, laidback camps that put you in the centre of the action.
- Join an exciting camel caravan through the wilds of Laikipia
- Learn about the Samburu Special 5 from Samburu tribesmen
- Mid-year, fly to the Mara for the Great Wildebeest Migration
Adventurers, couples and families
8. Kenya's Amboseli, Laikipia & Mara
Duration: 10 Days
This Kenya fly-in safari is perfect for travellers on time constraints but who want to see as much of this spectacular country as they can – in just over a week. Flying between lodges saves you time on road transfers, giving you more time on safari. One of the best things about this sample package is that you will stay at some of Kenya’s best eco-lodges, knowing that you are leaving a minimal footprint while travelling.
- Flying between destinations and engaging with local Masai warriors
- Enjoy some of Kenya’s best eco-lodges
- Incredible wildlife encounters
Families & couples
9. East Africa Year-Round Migration
Duration: 10 Days
Enjoy the trip of a lifetime as you wake up to the sounds of the wild, while you travel through Kenya and Tanzania. You begin in the Ngorongoro Conservation Area and move on to two authentic tented safari camps - one placed in the Serengeti and the other in the Masai Mara, following the herds of the Migration. You will also have the opportunity to engage with the local Maasai community and learn from their traditional ways.
- The most authentic experience of the Great Migration
- Learn the traditional ways of the famous Maasai warriors
- Unrivalled Big Five game viewing
Couples and first-timers
10. Zanzibar and the Masai Mara
Duration: 11 Days
Keep it easy by staying in East Africa for your bush-and-beach break. Zanzibar is an island of fun contrasts: a place of old palaces and forts but also the birthplace of inimitable singer Freddie Mercury of Queen. Once you’ve had your fill of game watching in the Mara, head to the Spice Island for warm water, sunset dhow cruises, delicious seafood and an affordable island escape.
- Something for everyone at a laidback beach resort
- Optional activities like diving and snorkelling on Zanzibar
- Intimate tented camp on the plains of the Mara
Families, couples, honeymooners and first-timers