Restoring the Environment
Greenpop is an award-winning non-profit organisation that aims to restore ecosystems and empower environmental custodians across Sub-Saharan Africa through projects like:
- Forest restoration – planting trees, restoring forest and woodland habitats, effectively managing critical catchment areas, and improving the lives of communities who rely on forest resources.
- Urban greening – increasing urban green space in cities through indigenous gardening and environmental education.
- Food gardening – empowering households and individuals to grow their own nutritious food at home.
- Environmental awareness – empowering individuals with the knowledge and information to be active citizens and environmental custodians for their communities.
Greenpop’s vision is to live in a world where people and nature thrive together, a ‘Treevolution’ as they call it. The underpinnings for this ideology are:
- (Re)connecting people with the planet.
- Getting active (not anxious) about the future of the plane.
- Changing the world in a fun way.
- Making greening initiatives popular.
Since its inception in 2010, Greenpop has planted over 200,000 trees and inspired over 356,000 active citizens across South Africa, Zambia, Malawi and Tanzania.
Go2Africa’s Partnership With Greenpop
At Go2Africa, we are committed to ensure that our clients’ trips serve as an aid to conserve and protect Africa’s precious ecosystems. As part of our commitment to supporting Greenpop's environmental goals Go2Africa will fund the planting of one tree for every booking made that includes a stay at any of our selected accommodation partners in the Western Cape region.
These 7 participating Western Cape properties have been carefully curated based on their own community, environmental and/or wildlife conservation initiatives - Birkenhead House, Cape Cadogan, Grootbos Forest Lodge, Grootbos Garden Lodge, More Quarters, Spier, Welgelegen.
Our goal is to plant 1,000 trees in the Western Cape's Uilenkraal Valley during our 2023 financial year.