Zambia is a beloved destination for seasoned safari-goers and first-timers alike. Boasting gems such as South Luangwa National Park, which is renowned for walking safaris across its wildlife-rich plains, and the ever-famous Victoria Falls, a Zambia safari offers something for every type of traveller.
We know planning your African adventures can be a bit overwhelming, so to help you out, we’ve gathered the 19 best Zambia safari lodges and camps to make choosing a place to stay a little bit easier:
1. Time + Tide Chinzombo
Chinzombo brings a touch of elegance and style to South Luangwa. The safari camp’s contemporary and sophisticated design perfectly complements the tranquil waters of the Luangwa River and rolling plains of the Luangwa Valley. It’s the ideal retreat for those wanting to encounter big game in the African wilderness without foregoing the luxury and comforts of a 5-star vacation.
- South Luangwa National Park’s most luxurious camp
- Spectacular views of the Luangwa River & Valley
- Award-winning guide team
- Reliable predator sightings, especially leopard
- Animal tracking experiences, safari walks & boat cruises (seasonal)
- Sleepouts under the stars
Lavish getaways & romantic vacations.
2. Thorntree River Lodge
Roughing it in the untamed African wilderness has never looked so good. Thorntree River Lodge sits on the banks of the famed Zambezi River and is a mere 20-minute journey from the ever-popular Victoria Falls. A luxury lodge of note, Thorntree delivers an upscale experience that will have you forgetting you’re in the middle of the African bush and not in a 5-star hotel.
- 5-star luxury lodge overlooking the Zambezi River
- Close proximity to Victoria Falls
- Ngwana Club for kids’ entertainment
- Private river cruises & canoeing
- Rhino tracking on foot
Families & couples.
3. Shumba Camp
Named after the pride of lion roaming the area, Shumba Camp offers an upscale getaway in the wild and remote Busanga Plains in Kafue National Park. Explore the surrounding wilderness on foot, by boat or safari vehicle, spotting predators and big game as you traverse the rugged landscape. And for those keen to see the area from a completely different perspective, seasonal hot-air balloon rides provide a bird’s-eye view of the stunning landscape.
- Reliable predator sightings, especially lion
- Night drives through the Busanga Plains
- Seasonal boating on the floodplains
- Seasonal (August–October) hot-air balloon rides
Families & small groups.
4. Tongabezi Lodge
The ideal honeymoon destination, Tongabezi Lodge offers a secluded, intimate getaway in one of the most romantic settings on the continent. Located in Lower Zambezi National Park, the opulent lodge is a stone’s throw away from two of Africa’s most iconic landmarks. Couples can’t help but fall deeper in love when walking hand-in-hand across Victoria Falls Bridge or indulging in a Sampan dinner while floating on the Zambezi River.
- Views of the Zambezi River & close to Victoria Falls
- 5-star luxury & romantic hideaway
- Bush walks & boat trips on the river
- Sampan dinner floating on the river
- Adventure activities at Victoria Falls
- Microlight & helicopter flights
Honeymoons & romantic getaways.
5. Mfuwe Lodge
Award-winning Mfuwe Lodge is located in South Luangwa National Park, one of Africa’s most abundant wildlife regions. The area is famous for its walking safaris that allow guests to have up-close wildlife encounters while traversing the rugged landscape in search of big game. Mfuwe is the perfect base from which to embark on this thrilling activity, but you won’t even have to leave camp to see any animals, as the adjacent lagoon is constantly frequented by an array of wildlife. If you’re visiting in November, you might be lucky enough to bump into the local herd of elephant in the lobby as they make their way to the nearby mango trees.
- One of National Geographic’s Unique Lodges of the World
- Walking safaris in South Luangwa National Park’s game-rich valley
- Exclusive & intimate award-winning camp
- Elephants roam through the camp
- Spectacular views of wildlife-frequented lagoon
Seasoned safari-goers & small groups.
6. The Royal Livingstone Hotel
Exuding the class and style of a bygone era, The Royal Livingstone offers a stay fit for royalty. From the private butler service that ensures every need is met to the hotel’s ideal location on the Zambezi River, the Royal Livingstone provides 5-star service and unrivalled experiences. Its close proximity to one of the Natural Wonders of the World and the restored luxury steam train that affords a stylish and comfortable tour of Victoria Falls mean that adventure is always around the corner. Not to mention, there are few hotels in the world where seeing zebra grazing on the manicured lawn is nothing out of the ordinary.
- Breathtaking views of the Zambezi River
- 5-minute walk from Victoria Falls
- Zebra, giraffe & antelope graze on the hotel’s lawn
- Private butler service
- Fine dining & world-class spa experiences
- Boating safari on the river
- Explore Victoria Falls via a luxury steam train
Travellers seeking a lavish & laidback vacation.
7. Time + Tide King Lewanika
A true feast for the eyes, King Lewanika’s opulent design and stylish décor perfectly complement the incomparable raw beauty of Liuwa Plain National Park. Although the lavish nature of the camp is a highlight of your stay, the real spotlight is put on the Liuwa Plain’s picturesque landscape. Experience and explore the untamed African wilderness in a variety of ways, including sleepouts under the stars, canoeing safaris on the floodplains and scenic helicopter flights.
- 5-star luxury camp in Liuwa Plain National Park
- Night drives & walking safaris
- Seasonal canoeing safaris
- Scenic helicopter rides
- Sleepouts under the stars
Photography enthusiasts & nature-lovers.
8. Sausage Tree Camp
While Sausage Tree Camp’s name might not evoke images of ultra-luxury suites, it is the epitome of bush chic. Adorned with every creature comfort, fine dining worthy of a Michelin-star restaurant’s menu, and a 25-metre swimming pool overlooking the Zambezi River, this luxury camp has it all. Located in the pristine, wildlife-rich Lower Zambezi National Park, Sausage Tree offers an upscale safari experience that affords the very best of the African wilderness in style and comfort.
- 5-star luxury camp overlooking the Zambezi River
- Water-based safaris
- Guided bush walks & birding
- Reliable sightings of elephant, leopard, lion, zebra & more
Couples & small groups.
9. Chindeni Bushcamp
Chindeni Bushcamp takes full advantage of its enviable location in South Luanga. Spacious, tastefully decorated rooms built on stilted wooden decks and shaded by a grove of ancient ebony trees overlook a wildlife-frequented lagoon below and the majestic Chindeni Hills in the distance. Immerse yourself in nature on a walking safari, where you’ll get up-close to the surrounding bush and tracking big game on foot, or enjoy a night drive through the national park, where the nocturnal wildlife awaits your company.
- Exclusive & intimate camp deep in South Luangwa National Park
- Spectacular views of permanent lagoon & Chindeni Hills
- Night drives, walking safaris & birding
- Abundant variety of wildlife roam the area
10. Chiawa Camp
The safari-chic Chiawa Camp sits on the banks of the meandering Zambezi River. Ideal for those seeking a romantic getaway, the camp offers an authentic safari experience perfect for couples – from canoeing on the river to sunset cruises and night drives through Lower Zambezi National Park. When you’re not exploring your surroundings, the stylish tented rooms are the perfect place to unwind in complete comfort.
- Multi-award-winning camp located on the banks of Zambezi River
- Canoeing, boating & angling on the river
- Reliable sightings of elephant, lion, leopard, hippo & more
- Night drives & guided nature walks
Romantic getaways & honeymoons.
11. Royal Chundu
The award-winning Royal Chundu is worthy of its moniker, providing a high-end getaway fit for nobility. This luxury resort on the banks of the famed Zambezi River, comprises two opulent properties – River Lodge and Island Lodge. Both stylish, contemporary lodges afford spectacular views of the surrounding landscape, as well as every creature comfort and amenity one would desire. The cherry on top of this fantastic hideaway is its close proximity to the ever-popular Victoria Falls – a wonderland for every type of traveller.
- 5-star award-winning luxury lodges
- Spectacular views of the Zambezi River
- Zambia’s first & only Relais & Châteauxproperty
- 40 minutes from Victoria Falls
- Canoeing safari & sunset cruises
- Scenic helicopter flights
Families & romantic getaways.
12. Baines River Camp
Veteran safari-goers will delight in all that Baines River Camp has to offer, but this elegant haven is great for the first-timer, too. Nestled in the Lower Zambezi National Park, the camp allows guests to connect with nature while still enjoying the comforts of the modern age. Explore the famous Zambezi River through a variety of water-based activities, including canoeing and boating, or encounter the immense wildlife that roams the area on game drives. And for those who love to learn, Baines River Camp also offers safari workshops on topics like photography and bird watching.
- Luxury old-world lodge on the banks of the Zambezi River
- Specialised photography workshops
- Fly fishing clinics & elephant studies
- Water-based safaris
13. Kapamba Bushcamp
Get off the grid at Kapamba Bushcamp, a secluded and intimate hideaway overlooking the tranquil Kapamba River. Luxury, romance and big-game sightings are guaranteed at this little slice of paradise. Spend your days on game drives through the park, walk hand-in-hand along the trails following the course of the river and enjoy candle-lit dinners in the shallow waters of the river as the sun sets behind you.
- Remote & intimate camp on the banks of the Kapamba River
- Walking safari through South Luangwa National Park
- Dinner experience in the Kapamba water
- Superb big-game sightings
14. Sanctuary Sussi & Chuma
Sanctuary Sussi & Chuma’s quirky treehouse-style architecture is offset with tasteful décor and contemporary design that makes for a laidback yet upscale getaway in Mosi-Oa-Tunya National Park. Built into the canopy of jackalberry trees and phoenix palms, and connected by wooden walkways lifted off the forest floor, Sussi & Chuma sets a playful tone from the moment you enter the retreat. The amusement only continues 20 kilometres (12 miles) away in Africa’s Adventure Capital, where guests can explore Victoria Falls through a variety of exciting activities.
- Views of the Zambezi River
- Close to Victoria Falls
- Treehouse-style luxury accommodation in Mosi-Oa-Tunya National Park
- Remote location away from the crowds
- Guided walking safaris, sunset cruises & canoeing safaris
- Local school & village tour
- White-water rafting & helicopter flights
Solo-travellers, families & couples.
15. Puku Ridge Camp
Puku Ridge Camp proves that safaris can be 5-star, lavish affairs. Its elegant use of thatch, canvas and wood create a canvas-chic getaway that brings a touch of luxury to the African bush. Ideal for those looking to spend quality time with their significant other, there’s no shortage of activities to set the romantic tone, especially when your nights can be spent under a canopy of stars in a private star-bed tower.
- Eco-friendly luxury camp in Lower Zambezi National Park
- World-class fine dining
- Walking safaris through South Luangwa National Park
- Capture amazing photographs from the hide
- Private star bed tower for night’s under stars
- Night drives with the award-winning red-light protocol
16. Chamilandu Bushcamp
Chamilandu’s elegant treehouse-style chalets line the pristine Luangwa River, offering spectacular views of the tranquil body of water with the majestic Chindeni Hills as the backdrop. Those looking for an authentic safari experience will delight in the guided walking safari and night drives through South Luangwa, an area famous for its big game. You won’t even have to leave your room to see animals in their natural habitat, though. The abundance of wildlife means you can enjoy an armchair safari from your room’s private deck, watching elephant and other wildlife as they drink from the river below.
- Beautiful views of the Luangwa River & Chindeni Hills
- Armchair safaris of wildlife roaming near camp
- Situated in a game-rich location in South Luangwa National Park
- Walking safaris & night drives
First-timers & small groups.
17. The River Club
Be transported back in time when stepping into The River Club, an Edwardian-style lodge that exudes an air of grandeur and timeless elegance. The charming lodge offers a wide variety of activities to keep guests entertained, from sunset cruises on the Zambezi River to tennis courts and croquet. The River Club is the perfect add-on when on safari in Africa, as it not only provides an ideal haven to relax and unwind, but also sets you a stone’s throw away from the iconic Victoria Falls.
- Charming Edwardian-style house overlooking the Zambezi River
- Explore Africa’s Adventure Capital, Victoria Falls
- Sunset cruises on the river
- Play tennis, croquet, boules & snooker
- Nature trail for running & walking
- Children’s entertainment at Kids @ The Club
Families, couples & honeymooners.
18. Kaingo Camp
A nature photographer’s paradise, Kaingo Camp boasts several photography hides around its property. With its location in the picturesque setting of South Luangwa, you won’t want to leave your camera at home for this trip. Not only will your pictures be amazing, but so will your memories. Encounter big game on day and night drives through the park, get up-close to nature on safari walks and spend a night under the stars in the Elephant Hide star-bed.
- Spectacular views of the Luangwa River
- Sleepouts in the Elephant Hide star-bed
- Several photography hides
- Excellent big game & predator viewing
Avid photographers, couples & small groups.
19. Royal Zambezi Lodge
When staying at the Royal Zambezi Lodge, while your days away canoeing on the Zambezi River, hiking up nearby mountains or simply indulging in a pamper session at the Royal Bush Spa. Here, you’re able to enjoy an authentic safari experience from the lap of luxury, as the Royal Zambezi Lodge has managed to turn the raw wilderness into a 5-star destination.
- 5-star luxury lodge on the banks of the Zambezi River
- Hands-on, personalised service
- Reliable big cat & elephant sightings
- River cruises, canoeing & angling
- Bush walks & hiking
Families & couples.